Sunday 4 October 2009

Recession bores me!!!


“You couldn’t have graduated at a worse time,” says absolutely everyone that I hand my CV to or talk to over the phone. “Because of the recession, its hard times,” they would finish.

‘Recession’ a word that I had never heard of till the last year of my journalism degree, and now that’s all I hear and I’m sick of it. So even before I left uni I was sending out CV’s to potential employers hoping to be thrown a line before uni had even finished. I was sending out close to 40 cv’s a week and only a few would reply saying that they’ll “put you on the database for if something comes up in the future,” or “sorry but we don’t have any jobs available at the moment.” Even at a company I worked for as a receptionist they asked everyone who worked there to take a 10% pay cut in order to save some employees from redundancy. Then they went back on their word and ended up making loads of people redundant anyway, even after everyone had taken a 10% pay cut.

But I did finally get a foot in the door with a 3 month internship at a PR company at Jori White PR, they look after a range of companies but mostly bars and restaurants. I was so excited when an email came through asking for my availability and if I was willing to come in for an interview. Yes it is unpaid and yes I am scrapping the bottom of my overdraft, but the homepage of my facebook wall was graffitied with peoples feeling of hopelessness of not even being able to score work experience.

You actually have to beg to work for free now! So I wasn’t going to let this slip out of my hands. 


No comments:

Post a Comment