Thursday 4 March 2010

Absolut Vodka features Spike Jonze

I'M HERE - SPIKE JONZE


Walking around the streets of Shorditch and Soho I constantly felt like I was being haunted by this tiny little photograph plastered on nearly every lamp-post, brick and street corner i.e this little guy:
The first one I spotted on Goodge street by a newsagents.

It was to advertise a new small film by American director and producer Spike Jonze who's work includes Being John Malkovich and Where The Wild Things Are, this new film called I'm Here was in conjunction with Absolut Vodka, as the brand want to start associating themselves with contemporary art forms (kinda like what Becks have done for years).

I was invited along to the Absolut event to watch the premiere of the film. It was set in the basement of a car park just off Brewer street - amazing venue and they set it up nicely, plus free cocktails that took the misery out of being in the POURING RAIN before-hand (and i got splattered by a bloody taxi!). There were cardboard boxes lying randomly around the floor all wired up to cables that later had inflatable mattresses bursting out of them, which were used as seats.

The film itself was beautiful. It's about a robot boy who is lonely and ignored meeting a robot girl who is adventurous and clumsy, which means he always ends up saving her (story of my life lol). Her care-free attitude to life leads her to losing her robotic limbs, fortunately for her though boy robot loves her so much he gives up his limbs for her to the point where he is only left with his head.

It got a couple of laughs throughout and I was nearly moved to tears, which isn't difficult but still. I loved the film and the cocktails so it was a great night, we were given vouchers to venture out to retrieve more vodka from bars and then I set off to view Banksy's new film (will post tomorrow!).

No comments:

Post a Comment